According to an article found on WebMD, written by Kathleen Doheny, African American women have specific hair issues. In fact, Doheny says hair loss in common amongst black women. Similarly, Dr. Susan Taylor, a dermatologist and writer for the Huffington Post, refers to hair loss among black women as an epidemic. We have provided you with various types of hair loss in order for you to boost or promote healthy hair.
Types of Hair Loss:
1. Alopecia (hair loss) – may occur in different locations on the scalp, some cases are reversable and others are not
2. Telogen Effluvium – caused by extreme stress
3. Hair Breakage – from excessive chemical use, heat, or rubberbands
4. Traction – pulling of the hair, especially from different hairstyles.
5. Central Centrifugal Cicatricial Alopecia – begins in the central portion of the scalp and spreads in an outward pattern and causes scarring of hair follicles
6. Hair is infected with fungus, oftentimes ringworm.
If you are afraid you may be struggling with hair loss or know someone who is, please consult your beautician or dermatologist.
[by Ashante’ Travis]